Warning: This may be a little uncomfortable for some to read because the points may feel a bit (correction) very personal. They may really strike home. We apologize in advance … sort of. We don’t fully apologize because we are on a MISSION and want people to pay attention to their inner voice. This blog points out the very reasons we hear on a daily basis that our clients finally “flip the switch” and DECIDE to make change.
We routinely speak and write about the importance of a person getting in good touch with their “WHY” when it comes to embarking on a weight loss journey. And we often point out things like:
- Addressing a serious medical diagnosis
- Being able to do the enjoyable and adventurous things in life.
- Remaining healthy for your family.
- Being able to perform your job effectively.
- Etc. Etc. Etc.
All those are legit and important reasons WHY, but tune into this next set of things and see if you may be sensing some of these more deep, personal and annoying factors …
- Toenails & Shoes: It’s difficult to bend over to trim your toes or
you get out of breath when you try to put your shoes on. Not okay.
- Stairs: climbing even a flight or two of steps causes you to huff
and puff. Bad sign.
- Seasonal Clothes: you’re putting on the new seasons clothes and they
do NOT fit like they did last year. It’s frustrating. Uncomfortable.
- Relationship issues: there’s some strain and your weight challenge
may play a part in that issue for one reason or another. Sad, but it
happens more often than we’d care to think.
- Job interviews: you have them coming up and want to present with a
look that is professional, able to be productive, etc.
- Discriminated against: you feel you may be getting overlooked for
things like a promotion, a relationship, etc. Again, very sad and
not fair. But, unfortunately, a real deal.
- Sleep eating: you wake up and can tell “someone” was rummaging
through the kitchen last night … and then realize it was you! Uh-oh.
This calls for some solution!
- Closet eating: food is hidden so it can be eaten secretly - away
from those who love and care for you.
- Fast food bags in the car: you have to purge your car and hide
evidence of unhealthy eating when a friend is getting in your car.
- Family pictures: they are coming up and you’re stressing; trying to
decide what to wear, who to stand behind, etc. in order to hide
weight. Way to common. Pictures are for fond memories – not anxiety
- Upcoming event: a family function; a work conference; a class
reunion; you name it… but it’s on the calendar and coming quick and
causing you anxiety.
- Lost your confidence: your self-esteem is taking a hit; over time
it has dwindled because you are self-conscious about your weight
and looks. As much as we re-enforce that looks are only skin deep,
people still struggle with this.
- Returning to the dating world: You’ve been out of it a while and
now find yourself back in it. The reality that you are bigger than
the last time may certainly affect this experience.
Ouch! We realize some of those hurt deeply and several of them are downright unfair. Yet, they DO cause pain … pain which can oftentimes be eliminated by a sensible, proven and scientific approach to healthy weight control. That’s what WE do!
People are motivated in different ways. Some are spurred to act by PURSUING THE PLEASURE of achieving things like better fitness, improved medical reports, less meds, the ability to do more fun things, etc. While others are finally motivated when a discomfort hits a threshold … and it’s time they address or AVOID PAIN (like those pain points listed above). There is no right or wrong reason. But whatever YOUR reason may be …
We are here to help!